Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Rose in the Style of Georgia O'Keeffe



Rose in the Style of O'Keeffe   Sold.

6x8in  oil on canvas board  100.

The new Challenge from Daily Paintworks is one I will enjoy.

It is The Picasso It Challenge posted by Gloria Zucaro
The goal is to paint something in the STYLE  of a painter you admire.

My "something"  is naturally a rose as I have just painted a series of them
I chose the style of Georgia O'Keeffe  because she became known for painting flowers. She completely changed the format of flower painting by making huge canvases filled with a close up view of flowers.
I have never painted a full frontal flower before and I found it fascinating. I refrained from making the image more sensual but I could see how she found it so...especially when she painted in monumental scale. I have wondered if she did this deliberately, knowing it would attract the attention it did.

3 comments:

  1. I really love this rose! The bits of green in the background sets off the soft pink of the rose beautifully. Great idea, to paint in the "style" of another painter. Sound like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first learned of O'Keef in Art History studies in College and fell in love with her paintings and the spirit she painted them with. Wasn't so keen on her skulls, but they definitly turned some heads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What year did she do this painting

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie