Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Monday, November 21, 2011

Something Simple



Early Morning Light.

6x6in oil on canvas board  85.

After yesterday's struggle I decided to follow my own advice and do something simple. This is a memory exercise based on simple shapes of different values.

This landscape was done with a limited palette of Ultramarine Blue, Cad Yellow Light, Permanent Alizarin and Titanium White.

First, I pre-mixed a yellow green, an orange color, a brown and a purple from the above colors.

A Yellow Ochre was made by pre-mixing a reddish purple to the same value FIRST as the ocher color I wanted and then adding the cad yellow light. If my purple had been too blue then I would have got a neat green instead of ocher.

The secret to good color mixing is to make your colors the correct value before adding them together.



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie