Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Cloudy Sky



Cloudy Sky

8x6in  oil on canvas panel    100. SOLD

Another painting from a photograph.
It was only with certain lighting conditions that the layers of land formations
became apparent. I lived in a high rise for 11 years and this was my view
looking west, right into Mexico from El Paso, Texas.

Artist Note.

Still experimenting with fracturing. The diffused lighting conditions and
soft clouds made for an interesting painting experience.
Values became very important.
Scads of small buildings cover the front hillside, but I went for the mood
of the piece instead of the actual representation, and left them out because
I didn't want a spotty area!
I feel it does capture the atmospheric mood.




Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. This painting is so beautiful Julie! It looks like you used a palette knife... Wonderful. I love landscapes that are all about the sky. So difficult but so magnificent when it works. Gorgeous.
    Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie