Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Spring Beauty





Apple and Cherry Blossoms

11x14in Unfinished demo - not for sale.

This is one of two demos I did yesterday. The apple blossoms have beautiful pink buds and the cherry Blossoms grow in clusters of round shapes  and are creamy white.

Artist Note.

I started with a pale, blue toned canvas and lifted the light areas off with an old cotton sock.
(I have a wonderful friend who passes on her sport socks to me...still pristine.)


Next I painted transparently to establish
important dark areas. I find it helps for me
to keep loose at this stage
so I use a big brush. #12
I have a habit of painting yellow
for the light
areas if the light source is warm.


                                                     Moving into opaque paint I
shape the cherry blossoms balls
to establish the values and form.
This is a close-up of
the foundation for the Cherry blossoms.
(Looks like a little cabbage!)
When I paint the flowers in top
most of the green will be gone


I mixed two batches of blue for the
pattern on the vase.
Paler for in the light and a darker
blue for the shadow area.
I ended up changing this in the painting
as it dominated too much. I had to decide
if the blossoms were the point of interest
or the vase.

Tomorrow I will show the other demo I did yesterday .

3 comments:

  1. Just love your tutoring, this piece is stunning, looking forward to seeing next demo.
    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. I like the looseness of the blossoms. Very interesting how you painted those green "cabbages". It worked out beautifully.
    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially appreciate the photos and explanations under "Artist Notes". I'm saving them all. Thanks.
    ReplyDelete

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie