Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Monday, May 28, 2012

White Roses



White Roses

8x6in  oil on canvas panel   SOLD

I wanted to have some fun today after working so hard on the
polk-dot vase yesterday. This little group of flowers did the trick.
I like the happy colors.

Artist Note.
When I have something light next to something dark
I always try to place a transition color/value to step
the values together. With white flowers, the shadow
area is important to achieve that, but so are the edges.
I do try leave a high contrast in the focal area...
don't always remember though!
Will show a little demo of transition value tomorrow.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. Such a joyful painting. Love all the bright colors. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Julie, This is stunning. Another winner! I hope you don't mind that I pinned it on my board "Other's paintings that I love"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karla - mind? Absolutely not. It is an honor and I thank you.

      Delete
  3. I'm liking this fractured look, I'm not sure I understand the process. This is a beautiful painting Julie. Romantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi L.W. I am a romantic by nature so I am glad it shows in my art.
      Pleased you like the fracturing.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Myra. How are you managing to keep two great blogs going?

      Delete
  5. This fracturing looks different a little bit. Have you used mostly palette knife? This it fabulous, anyway.
    And this rhythm of red roses - delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The reason it looks different is I was pushing the fracturing a little bit more. I am still discovering what works and what doesn't. I rather liked this but my paint was drier and harder to work with.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie