Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Baltimore Cardinal Nest



Baltimore Cardinal Nest
8"x6" oil on canvas
100.

My friend Linda brought me two of this type of nest and they both totally amaze me. They are a full 7 - 8 inches deep and constructed so beautifully I almost thought they had been woven with a loom. This one is made of thin strips of shredded blue and white plastic mixed with maybe dryer lint and fine strands of grasses. Very soft and pliable. Hard to believe a bird could do it. When they make the nest they apparently weave it in and out of some of the branches supporting it so it will withstand lots of weather conditions.
Mixed in with the blue are some orange threads. These birds must know about complimentary colors!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie