Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Sunset Study


Sunset Study

6x8in oil on canvas board 100.


This was painted very fast. In reality the front ground was not this dark but the reproduction shows it so I am going to have to go with it. There were a lot of clouds and they were pink, mauve, peach, gold and a very pale yellow. I discovered that a lot of the color range depended not only on the position from the setting sun but also how dense the different clouds were.
The bend in the Rio Grande River makes for a dramatic cut of light against the dark of the land and the reflected color from the sky had to be knocked back a bit otherwise it competed too much with the drama of the focal point.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie