Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Friday, July 6, 2012

Hot spots along the River - Yellowstone



Firehole River Geysers - Yellowstone

6x8in oil on linen - mounted.  $125.

The Firehole River has an area where it is lined with steaming geysers.
Never would have guessed from its name - right? The banks are beautifully streaked
with colors from the mineral sediments,  but the water has no turquoise,
just the reflection of the sky to make it blue.

Sorry the link did not work yesterday. I have now learned how to placed it on U-Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSYalb-tmq4
If you are interested you may want to see the Grand Prismatic Stream.

I do appreciate all of you for visiting my blog and taking this trip to the waters of
Yellowstone National Park via my paintings.
Only a couple more to go, but it has been a wonderful trip down memory lane for me.



Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

  1. Lovely as usual. I tried something you master, the use of a palette/painting knife. I really have a long way to go and I have to use more color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful painting Julie. Wonderful depiction of water.
    All the best.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased you like it, Victor. I was admiring your use of greens on your blog.

      Delete
  3. I sure am enjoying the tour-like a virtual vacation:0 I like this painting too as well as the last one. Looks like some palette knife work which I would like to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pallette knife style is so wonderfully rendered. Thanks for sharing with such richly detailed photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A pleasure,Julie, to see your paintings, travel to beautiful places, through your fascinating work!Nature&YourArt=Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your whole Yellowstone sequence has been fascinating, Julie. I remember visiting Yellowstone as a child and almost being frightened of this "other-worldly" scene. From an adult perspective it's riveting, and the artist in me sees the color complements, the shapes, the textures and the contrasts. You certainly have portrayed this unique area in an appealing and original way. Good for you and your talents that you can bring all of this out on canvas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand a young child's viewpoint. I also watched anxiously as young kids would run along the wooden walkways, knowing they could trip and fall into the boiling water. Scary.
      You are also correct using the word riveting. It was like being live in a National Geographic Magazine!

      Delete
  7. this is truly beautiful, Julie. The reflections with your method is absolutely stunning!! I want to say its my favorite BUT they all are. !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so great with your comments. Thanks, Hilda.

      Delete
  8. Water is your domain. You are just doing wonderful things with it Julie. I agree with Hilda. these last paintings have been superb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you like the water because I have enjoyed doing it. It can be quite complex and I always enjoy having to really "understand" something I am going to paint.
    I loved your blog today. The watercolors are great but so were some of the comments and your answers.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie