Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Monday, July 2, 2012

Lower Falls - Yellowstone



Lower Falls - Yellowstone

8x6in  oil on canvas board   $125.

Simplified painting of the Lower Falls from Artist Point in
Yellowstone.


Artist Note.


If this looks a bit different than what you are used to seeing
from me, you are right, it is. I usually go from this simplified stage
into more fracturing.


I am painting these two ( yesterday and today) Yellowstone paintings
from my sketchbook.  Today's watercolor reference is below.





 Notice the detail - every tree is shown,  so when I started to paint
I found I wanted to say more about the sun hitting the falls than I did
anything else. So I pushed color and found a harmony which speaks
to me of sunshine and shadows. I have a wonderful new blue.
Ocean Blue by LaFranc. It has Thalo in it, but is modified to perfection!

Short story.
I was standing painting the view of the falls, totally absorbed and when
I had finished I heard applause so I turned round and a whole group of
Japanese tourists had been stood watching me paint. They had never
disturbed me, respecting my concentration. I was amazed thinking how you
would never get anyone else to be that considerate, but then I had to line up
with each of them while they they took a photo with me and my little painting
with each of them and I thought THAT would never have happened either!









Posted by Picasa


26 comments:

  1. This IS different for you...that is the first thought that crossed my mind. I LOVED your story about your spectators. How awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. Neat how different cultures are.
      Loved your reflection dress today. You are so gifted.

      Delete
  2. I have been there, but without my paints. What a breathtaking view it is. You did a great job with sketch and oil. Love the tourists story too. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen. I enjoyed your painting for the bride.

      Delete
  3. Yes, this was a surprise. Nice to see how you approach a subject and simplify it, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Roger. With your eye great for design, it means a lot.

      Delete
  4. Oh, this is incredibly good! Entirely new means of expression. Finite perfection! Heartfelt congratulations, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful Julie!! I'm glad it was tourists behind you and not a bear!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did see some bears when there. Thanks for the comment. Love your sunflower and sons take on selling.

      Delete
  6. Really lovely painting Julie. That turquoisey blue and orange work so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nigel. When you mentioned The great man in your blog I thought of all the wonderful colors he used.

      Delete
  7. It's beautiful Julie! It's wonderful to be in all those photos with all those tourists! Very considerate of them to show such respect for you and your skill.
    Happy Painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nora. I do not think it was my skill as much as respect for an artist at work.

      I was in awe of your ability do do all those flags.

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed your post today! Those falls must really be amazing...it is definitely showing up in your paintings. I loved seeing your different versions and comparisons and they are all wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria, the nice thing about a blog is being able to try new and different things and even better when other artists comment like you did! Thank you.

      Delete
  9. Interesting post, Julie. I really enjoy hearing about the process you take to create your beautiful work! Your watercolor sketch is wonderful! No wonder the tourists were so quiet; they were in awe. I love your story about them! I love the Japanese culture! They're the best! I can't wait to see more from Yellowstone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I agree about the Japanese culture.OI love the way you did the water in your piece too.

      Delete
  10. Amazing view!...the lower falls is one of my favorite places... When you first look at it..it takes your breath away...you painted it beautifully, Julie. LOVED the story of the Japanese tourists...how wonderful it probably made you feel!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you liked the painting. My daughter did not! She does understand how I have to "be brave" now and then.

      Delete
  11. That Ocean Blue looks like an exciting color, Julie!
    I like your take on the falls.
    Enjoyed the tourist story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. Your mother/child painting is wonderful. I like your close-ups.

      Delete
  12. The falls series is wonderful. This one is particularly sweet. The blue is gorgeous and there is definitely sunlight in this painting. As for the tourists, from my point of view, it's a good thing you never noticed them, they might have broken the spell you were under.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The light hit right where you wanted it to , and yes, this is so different from what I usually see you do ! I love your watercolor too, I knew you would be good :-)) Amazing lesson of education from the japonese, really touching !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear you like my watercolors. Coming from an expert it means a lot. Thanks, Jane.

      Delete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie