Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A Waterfall Somewhere in Yellowstone.




A Waterfall Somewhere In Yellowstone.

8x6in  oil on canvas panel   $125.

Wish I knew where this was in the park.
Unlike the other paintings, there were no markers for this spot.
I was there at this time of year and the snow was still melting
in some shady spots. I remember the roar of this waterfall
and lots of foamy bubbles at the base.

Artist Note.

 It is hard to show the scale on something like this without plopping a
person on the rocks, but these fell about 10 feet.
Interesting thing about about scale. Without a comparison it can be hard for the
viewer to gauge the exact size of many things and artists can play with this to their advantage.

Tomorrow I am going for a spot of color with the Grand Prismatic Pool,
my hands down, favorite place in the park. It will have to be an abstract.


Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

  1. Wow, Julie, your landscapes are so great! Really love your original technique, as usual. And it lends itself so well to a waterfall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Taryn, Glad you think fracturing suits the waterfall because I am getting lots of practice in!
    Love the idea of your new blog and the wonderful interview with Susan Jane Walp. I recommend it to everyone.
    http://www.tarynsartroom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't paint in oils but am full of admiration for those who do - this for me is how an oil painting should look, full of texture, fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice a compliment is that from such a fine water-colorist!

      Delete
  4. Lovely as usual.I admire the way that you can put so many colors together, and it feel lively not fragmented. When it comes to feeling of hight, one could take some artistic freedom with the subject and exaggerate the hight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. Your piece today has wonderful color changes in it. Your glass bowl series is really special.

      Delete
  5. Another gorgeous painting Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean about scale, but as soon as I saw this waterfall I thought it was a large one, why? I think something about the amount od suggested detail which wouldn't be there if it was a trickle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, you are correct, Nigel. But you are a master of landscapes and your scale is always perfect. Today's is a perfect example. Thanks for the visit - always good for me.

      Delete
  7. The multitude of gorgeous color transitions is outstanding in this one, Julie!!!! Best yet, IMHO! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved IMHO Dean. I figured it out but have never seen it before. You must text.
      Glad you like the color transitions. Thanks you.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful feeling of light and color.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie