Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Run-off Waterfalls - Yellowstone.



Run-off Waterfalls - Yellowstone

5x7in  oil on canvas panel    $100.

These lovely, long streams of water apparently are only running while
the snow is still melting. A Ranger provided that information. I was
very impressed with the courtesy and patience of the Park Rangers.
One entertained a group of us with how long a buffalo lasts if it falls
into any of the geothermal pools. I will not go into the details but I
could tell he enjoyed
watching everyone's reactions to the gruesome facts.

Artist Note.

This was all about values as the sun was high and behind
the cliffs making a back-lit situation.
I was careful not to make the waterfalls too white. I had my sketch
to remind me that nothing
could be as light as the highlight on the top part of the water
even if it looked it. (The sky did)
I was taking artistic license because the waterfalls were the focus.
This sketch was done in a moving
car after we had had a quick look
at the falls but it was enough to help
set the the mood of high sun
back-lighting. The photos I took
were way too dark.

Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

  1. Concistantly amazing!! It is a joyfull journey following each of your posts. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your Yellowstone series is so wonderful and I think this is my favorite! You really captured the mood of the waterfall and one can feel all that wonderful water bouncing off of those rocks. I love the colors and reflections in the water...keeps you gazing to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are liking the series, Maria. I am still struggling to get one I like of Lower Falls. I have enjoyed doing them all.

      Delete
  3. I am loving your Yellowstone paintings! I can hear this waterfall and the lighting is amazing!!!!

    I have a STACK of Yellow stone pictures from last fall. We had gone to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park in hopes of doing some hiking but...the bears were trying to fatten up for winter so we hiking was only allowed in a few places and still "at your own risk". We are Kansas folk. We have NO experience with outrunning bears, outsmarting bears, etc. But I bet we would be mighty good at SCREAMING at them. :)

    And the poor buffalo. I never thought of them falling into the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughed at the screaming. I would too! I painted a bear I saw waaaay off in the distance. Would not want close up view. I love the sturdy shape of the buffalo and may paint one.
      Thanks for the visit, Lisa. I really liked your watercolor.

      Delete
  4. Love the deep earthy colors and how it contrast the light blues and whites of the water and sky. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Roger, the colors mother nature provides us with cannot be beat. I love the colors in your work. You know just how far to push them.

      Delete
  5. That is frickin' gorgeous! I grew up in Calgary and we would go camping in Banff every summer. The waterfalls were always so mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed when I opened up your mail. Frickin' is a wonderful word.
      You are so fortunate to go Banff frequently. I have been only once but will never forget.

      Delete
  6. I greatly admire your control over the generous, clean, color bits throughout!
    Bravo, Julie!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY GOODNESS, Julie. you get better and better...Love this one.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie