Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

High Desert, NM


High Desert, Chama, NM

8x10 oil on canvas 150.

I love the desert because the absence of grass allows the formation of the land to be clearly seen.
Here, the sloping hillside shows how the rains create culverts which in turn provide wonderful shadow patterns.
Natures colors are pretty amazing. The cool blues of the distant hills, ochres and reds of the earth, the cool, light turquoise of the rabbit grass, rich greens of the pinon bushes, topped off with the purples of the shadows. No wonder artists love it here.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful painting! Love the color and the depth captured with the far away mountains. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie