Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Santa Fe Hollyhock Study



Hollyhock Study

8x6in oil on canvas 100. SOLD

The hollyhocks are blooming all over Santa Fe. They are so colorful and tall that they appear to be nature's perfect counterpoint to the earth colors and structures of the adobe walls and buildings.
Yesterday I posted the painting I did of the hollyhocks before I did this study. There is a huge difference between painting something close up like this and the more distant landscape. Close-up observation makes for a more confident, and swifter brushstroke.
I am gaining a lot of respect for the ability of the artists who specialize in painting miniatures. I can already tell this painting-a-day commitment is going to be a valuable experience for me and should help my painting skills in different ways.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie