Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Caillebotte Copy



Caillebotte Copy

6x6in  oil on canvas board   $85.

Detail: Fruit Displayed on Stand.  1882


Gustave Caillebotte ( ky-yuh-BOHT)  was mocked when he exhibited this painting. Why? It was the viewpoint - the birds eye view. He was the first to publicly use it and the critics were NOT very complementary. It is hard to comprehend because in this day and age it is used by so many great artists. I find this painting and the handling of the paint very up to date and it boggles the mind to think this is the guy who painted the amazing ' The Floor Scrapers,' 1875. Completely different.
This painting is in the Boston Museum of Fine Art and because of the story behind it I spent quite a bit of time in front of it.
He must have been a truly good person because he helped and paid for Monet's rent many times and purchased many of the Impressionists work when they needed sales to be able to keep painting.
For those of you who are familiar with Renoir's, Luncheon of the Boating Party, Caillebotte is the guy in the straw hat on the lower right.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Caillebotte is one of my favorite painters and I have done some copy of his works also.You have still had this one very well.It has a great color.
    Congrats.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie