Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Monet Copy



Monet Copy

6x6in oil on canvas board  $85.

Detail: Flowers and Fruit, 1869

This  is a detail from Claude Monet's early period. I picked this piece for the chance to study how he  worked on grapes and the basket. I was quite surprised to discover that it is a lemon he has standing up on its end at the back of the grapes.How did he get it to balance? Was it important repeating the other upright fruit positions? I kept wanting to put it on its side!
I am not as fond of this particular period with the exception of The Magpie. I saw it a few years ago at the Musee d'Orsay and the wonderful paint quality (was not quite so dibby dabby) flowed into amazing value and color changes.
Many years will pass before Monet produces the amazing Giverney pieces which are some of my favourite paintings.
We do owe a debt of gratitude to Claude for he was a founder of French Impressionist Painting and actually, the term Impressionism is derived from the title of his painting, Impression, Sunrise.
Cezanne described Monet as 'only an eye, but God, what an eye!'.

3 comments:

  1. It's beautiful Julie. I am finding this series of paintings and the writing you put with them absolutely fascinating! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you,Haidee-Jo, for letting me know. I have enjoyed the research time I have put into the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very good paintings, Julie : )

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie