Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Sargent Copy



Sargent Copy

6x6in oil on canvas board  $85.

DetailPomegranates 1908  John Singer Sargent


When Sargent was in Majorca he painted three pomegranate trees and this is the only close-up study in oil. He also did a fabulous watercolor of a very similar viewpoint.
I found the world of difficulty painting this copy as it was impossible to capture his confident and organic brush and still be somewhat true. His paint quality was creamy and his transitions of colors and values were flawless. He hit his warm and cools on the leaves more than on the fruit. I must admit - I learned a lot...which is the whole point of doing this series of copying the masters of the past but... I am going to try and avoid lots of tiny leaves on the next one!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie