Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Copy of Sargent's Roses



Sargent Copy  (Roses, 1886)

6x8in oil on canvas board  100.

John Singer Sargent is so popular today it is hard for me to come to terms with my art school teachers who put him down as a mere illustrator with flashy brushwork!
Born 1856 in Italy to American parents, he hardly ever lived in this country though some of his finest paintings are located here. When I was doing the research I found that he did several paintings which included roses during the 1885-86 period of time. The most famous of course is
Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose. Tate Museum, England.
I have found a lot of artists have also been influenced by his painting Roses and Chair painted during the same time. (The one I copied this painting from is next to the image.)
For my actual learning experience I needed something substantial I could get up close to examine so I chose Roses.
The painting is sublime and I wish I could see it, but it is in a private collection.



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. If your teachers put down Sargent as "a mere illustrator with flashy brushwork", perhaps you find another school.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie