Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Gauguin Copy



Gauguin Copy

6x6in oil on canvas board  85.

Detail from,  Still Life With Mangos. Paul Gauguin.

I love most of Gauguin's work and I picked this piece because the colors were so vibrant after my previous copy of a painting by Cezanne. Although this was painted some 14 years after the Cezanne piece, I could still pick out some similar, parallel stroke work.  I noticed that Gauguin also used a cross-hatch stroke in flat areas. Both artists really observed each value/color change across the form and both outline the shapes. I did some research on this piece and was amazed at the different colors in each reproduction I looked at, even in the two books I own. I was wondering if the brighter images were after a restoration?
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I think there is a lot to be learned from copying a painting by a master. When I do, I think "oh that's how you do that!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Virginia. I am learning a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well I think that is what I should do, although I have done one of Chardin and I am not to sure this has been beneficial. I feel I can copy a painter (everything is given on a plate!)but I do not want to paint "a la maniere de" SO I am back with my own observation and way to paint.Look out tomorrow at my blog moniqueshaw-artblog I will have post the Chardin'scopy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will look forward to checking your blog tomorrow to see the Chardin copy, Monique, and I hope other readers do as well.
    You wrote that "everything is given on a plate" I agree it is easy to copy the "surface" look of a painting but at art school they had us copy the masters to learn the many different aspects of a particular work. That is what I am enjoying doing now with this series.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie