Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Qiang Huang's Workshop, Day Two.



Workshop - Day Two

6x6in  oil on canvas board -  not for sale

Qiang did another fabulous demo in the morning, this time it was on 'high key' painting.
He told us it would be harder to do than the low key painting and I found out he was quite correct. A Low Key painting has dominant dark areas... and they hold a painting together. A 'High Key' painting  means dominant light, so with a high key painting you have to design with color. As you probably know, light washes out color so that means your middle tone and shadow will be where the color is. I found that difficult to do. This is the painting I did and because I found it so difficult I will try another one today hoping to avoid the mistakes I made.
Check out Qiang's High Key demo here to see his beautiful color.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Well your workshop painting looks a lot better than mine did! I hadnt painted in months when I went to the class, but it sure did a kick start on me. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I think both set ups are difficult ones. You did well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful painting. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going through all your exercises done under
    Qiang Huang. One sentence you wrote in this painting had me thinking!I quote 'light washes out colour..so the middle tone and shadow will be where the colour is" Revelation...

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie