Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Colored Patterns


Colored Patterns

8x6in oil on canvas board 100.

I have a friend who thinks I paint "too tonal" - this piece should settle that!
I have been told that if you are a natural tonalist you will always be that way and the most you can hope for it to learn to "push" your color. Same thing goes for a natural "colorist" because if they want to they can learn to tone it down a bit with grays . When I teach I can see that there is a lot of truth in the theory.
By the way, the friend who thinks I am too tonal is...surprise, surprise, a natural colorist.

Anyway, the New Mexico landscape today is another deliberate attempt to be bolder with the color while I am taking myself out of my comfort zone with a new technique. The interesting thing is I have not changed any color on my palette, I am just mixing and placing the colors differently.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie