Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Fruit Bowl



Fruit Bowl

6x8in   oil on canvas board  100.

I wanted to work with some different colors today and it was easy to raid the fridge. I decided to go with yellow using the pear and golden apples and have the black grapes for contrast and drama..
Yellows are always warm and cheerful and are perfect used in a close cropped design like this.
Another plus for using the warm color of yellow is the eye can focus on it  better than a cool color. I have no idea why this is, but I do know that I was taught that yellow is the first color to drop out of the spectrum in receding space. Every time I gaze at the golds of sunrise and sunset, I try and figure this out!




Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Yellow/orange drops out first because it is the opposite of blue. Everything becomes more blue at a distance because the air glows blue. This is why the sky is blue.

    The exception is things that are brighter than the sky, like the sun or snowy mountain peaks. They become more orange with distance. The reason is that the air in between scatters the blue light, leaving orange light.

    Nice painting, by the way. Love the reflections in the table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous rich and exciting painting, I can visualise the thick juicy, buttery paint. Luscious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very warm painting! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a good painting...I love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie