Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Yellow Roses




Yellow Roses

8x6in oil on canvas board  100.

After doing the small studies of the roses outdoors, I took a deep breath and set up a still life. Keeping in mind I still had to follow Qiang Huang's teachings and remembering  to use the brush and knife, I painted the shapes first in their local colors using the brush. That was the easy part.  Qiang emphasizes that an artist has to paint the light and not the object. This is the basis of his beautiful paintings. I found it helped me to examine the shadows and try and gauge the way values/colors are before they turn into the light. Looking at the shadows provides exactly the same emphasis on the light, just a different approach which works better for me...I think! Still learning so not absolutely sure.
The palette knife was used to apply thicker paint for texture and mushing the edges where they needed it.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie