Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sunset Study



Sunset Study

7x5in  oil on canvas board.   90.

I see the advantages of using the palette knife for speed when painting a sunset. It is amazing how short a time the actual sunset takes. The color begins while the sun is still above the horizon,  becoming even stronger and richer when it drops just below it.  This is the time I wait for as my eyes are not blinded by the intense rays. The upper sky remains very light for quite a long time, illuminating the areas not back-lit or in shadow. Painting sunrise or sunset plein air is an emotional experience for me because I get frustrated that my knowledge of paint cannot duplicate what I see.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie