Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Spring Blossoms



Spring Blossoms

6x6in  oil on canvas board   85.

Another painting of the beautiful cherry blossoms I was given.

Artist Notes.

First of all, a huge thank you to everyone who emailed regarding my earlier request.
I had received an anonymous, mean spirited comment about my Artist Notes
and it actually did rock my boat for a little while. But, as you can see, after all the
supportive comments that came in I am certainly going to continue trying to pass
on what I know.

Someone asked me what I meant on the previous painting of blossoms
when I used the term "cookie cutter"


I thought I would use visuals to explain.

When all the values or color are the
same around an object it creates
an impression of a uniform
shape, the same as a cookie cutter
makes cutting into the dough.
 When different values or colors are placed
around a shape it visually prevents the
cookie cutter look. Where two similar values
of different colors meet, the eye can move in
and out at will. Squinting may help to see this.
There is no right or wrong way, only that
I personally find this more desirable and painterly.
Notice there are still some crisp edges.
The darkest next to the lightest
would be where a focal point would be.
When the edges are also softened
with brushwork, it even adds more
atmosphere. Useful in a landscape
for the distance or with an impressionistic
or expressionistic, painting method.

In my painting of blossoms I did not want the
branches to stand out so I used a darker
green value around them with slight variations
of value on the branches too. Very subtle.


Tomorrow I will give examples of some famous art in different styles to explain
even better.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. That makes sense. And I love this painting...the greens really make the blooms pop. The little dots of oranges and yellows or so delicately painted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flowers are indeed the stars here, so showing how not to make the branches pop too much is really helpful..beautiful work as always Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Great information for me as a rookie painter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cherry blossoms.Spring has arrived.Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jullie, Thank You Thank You for sharing......I just discovered your blog......love the fracture look....are you using the "scraping tool" to pull the paint to create the fracture? I'm in the process of reading all your post....have learned soooooo much.....I'm a watercolor painter, but have been doing oil for the past few years....still learning!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie