Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Fluer- de -Lis.



Iris

7x5in  oil on canvas board   SOLD

Iris are fun to paint. They have a long and interesting background and I thought I would share a couple of bits of info here.

The flower was named after the Greek goddess, Iris, who was the messenger of the Gods. She would ride on the rainbow to and from earth in her beautiful, multicolored robe acting as a link between heaven and earth.

During the Middle Ages, Irises became linked to the French Monarchy, eventually becoming the French national symbol, the fleur-de-lis.
According to french historian Georges Duby, the three leaves represent medieval social class:
Those who worked.
Those who fought.
Those who prayed.


All neat stuff!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie