Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Stormy Clouds at Sunset.



Stormy Clouds at Sunset

6x6in  oil on canvas   85.

Rain is always welcome in the desert.  This storm looked so dark and promising, but this time it fell on the other side of the mountain and we did not get a drop.  These are the Organ Mountains, here in Las Cruces, N.M. They are situated on the east side of the city so the sun rises behind them and sunset casts its glow on them. On this particular evening, a small amount of color hit for a only a brief moment. I had been so sure I was going to get a brilliant, golden cloud. Sigh!

Artist Note:

This was done with a palette knife. I scraped and mushed with the back of the knife to try and capture the soft, vapor quality of the clouds. I left texture in the foreground

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully painted, Julie!! Love the splash of pink in this powerful sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Julie,
    I found you via Gary Everest's blog...I stalk his blog for his fantastic portrait painting : ) I am so happy I found your blog. I love the way you write about how you did your paintings. Your most recent two landscapes are so serene. I am a nature lover and looking at your paintings make me long for some of the beautiful places I've been. I live in Wichita, Kansas so it is rather flat here...but we DO have pretty trails.

    Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it because the sky has a distinc abstract feel about it, that pink and cerulean (?) blue work really well together

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie