Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Not Traditional!



Not Traditional!

6x8in oil on canvas board   100.

Yesterday I painted a traditional still life so today I did a very non-traditional one.
What makes it non-traditional?
Several things, but the main one is the objects holding the flowers.
I love these modern, funky vases. They are all different colored ceramic. A dark one, a light/medium one and a light one. It was difficult to do the values on them as they have different angles to the light.
I placed them in a non-traditional set-up by placing them in a row. In a typical, traditional still life, at least one would have overlapped.
The flowers are handled with simple, side shapes.
I repeated the triangle shapes from the vases with elongated light and shadow patterns at the front and they can be found in the negative areas of the background.
Tomorrow I am planning a contemporary/abstract still life.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I really like the way you mix it up, traditional then not so much, abstract too. Your watercolor sketchbook is gorgeous, would love to sit and look through page by page.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie