Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Tulips in Silver



Tulips in Silver      SOLD

8x6in  oil on canvas

This was a palette knife exercise. Timed and fast for a demo.

I premixed the basic colors I would need first and made adjustments as I went along.
As I only had two flowers of each color and needing an odd number, I moved the white tulip from behind  the yellow one after painting it and placed it going off the side.
I really like the reflective quality of the silver... achieved by following the principle of picking up the colors around it and always placing a real dark somewhere.
I am always surprised when I am working fast how the energy shows up in the work. I have watched some well known artists mix their paint slowly but apply with a deliberate and swift stroke and it gives the same effect
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Hi there Julie!... My first visit to your site! Breath-taking florals all!

    The bravura in your knifework... solid compositions and your constant melding of lost and found edges in your work... make each very captivating to the eye!

    Merry Christmas! Keep up the great work... in both your painting and your intersting writing!

    I'll be back!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful energy and color in this . . . have an image of a conductor leading a robust piece of music! Love the dynamism in the silver vase! and thanks for the tips on painting silver.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie