Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Mother's Pottery #2



Mother's Pottery #2

6x6in oil on canvas 85.

My mother has been gone now 12 years but for some reason I am really
thinking about her a lot and when I painted a bowl she
had made, yesterday, it felt good...so today I am painting one of my favorite pieces.
I usually keep pens in it but they didn't look like how I feel about my mother
and I decided to go with the dogwood flowers.
Like all good immigrants do, when my mother visited me from England
I took her to Washington, D.C., where the dogwoods happened to be blooming
and she was filled with total delight.
These happy memories came back as I was painting this .

Artist Note:

I started with a warm under-painting and general placement
showing the direction of the light.
I am trying to keep everything loose and have to start that way.
I did work carefully on the pottery and it got too fiddly...great art term!
So I scraped it all off and it immediately looked better and I went back in
to try and keep it that way.
I was careful to leave the highlight white, lighter than the dogwood.
It may not show up on here, but they are lighter.
Mother's glazes were a wonder to behold.
She knew no fear and mixed and dripped never knowing what they
would be like until they survived the kiln.
I love the unusual shape of this piece and her small little add on at the front.

4 comments:

  1. Both the ceramic bowl and the little painting you did of it are treasures Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the way you paint, so free and easy and really great sense of colors. And as always I really appreciate your explanations. Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful heart warming memory. Love your Mom's pottery! Your painting is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful memories, Julie! Gorgeous painting as well as the post!!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie