Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pansy Time #5



Pansy Time #5

8x6in   oil on canvas board   100.

I am still having a stimulating and fun time painting the Pansy Series.

Artist Note:

After doing the close-up viewpoint yesterday I went for a more modern design approach today.
I started with organizing my shapes, keeping in mind I wanted strong negative areas.
I had some new objects I wanted to paint and needed some help in finding a color scheme.

I turned to the book, "Confident Color" by Nita Leland. (North Light)
I chose Modern Triad.
Hansa Yellow Light, Quinacridone Magenta and Phthalo Blue. Plus Titanium White.
It is amazing what a full range of values and colors you can get with just these three plus white.

I am fortunate enough to have several of my own paintings included in this excellent book.
Just a wee bit of bragging!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. I don't own tubes of Hansa Yellow Light and Quinacridone Magenta, but I think I see an order from Utrecht in my future! This is wonderful, Julie! I really love how your background highlights the pansies so beautifully, and the red spoon combined with the reflections of turquoise is pure genius. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have those two colors, either, although I do have Phthalo Blue. I hesitate to add more colors to my palette until I can figure out how to use the ones I already have.

    I really like the arrangement of objects here. Very interesting and appealing. And I love the color combinations, especially the different shades of blue and aqua.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your bold colors and I admire how quick you finish a painting. My oil paintings take at least one week letting the first layer dry...but I am a beginner in oil painting, so I suppose I have everything to learn :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the palette and the whole process of understanding the process, making the decisions, then letting intuition and inspiration lead the way.I like your "artist notes" feature too.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie