Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Trying Different Ways of...



Trying Different Ways of...

oil on canvas 6x8in oil on canvas board 100.

A more contemporary approach and the effort it took to get it to my acceptance level.

Artist Note:

After doing the White on White Challenge I had a hard time not going back to a tonal painting so I set myself a goal to see how many different ways I could attempt a more contemporary set-up.

Here is the first one. I thought I would go more colorful.


I was not comfortable with all of it - a little bit too
unconnected.

So I tried it another way on a 6x6in format













This one I liked better but did not feel an emotional connection so I went back to studying my light and dark pattern and that is how I ended up with the top one, which I do like. It is 98% percent palette knife.

There were elements I wanted to maintain.
I liked the little bottle behind the white vase and the small striped cloth beneath them. The green oriental box is a lovely piece I find intriguing. It was only when I linked it to a dark mug that it all worked.
I was raised with,  "if at first you do not succeed, then try, try, try again."
It appears to be my artist mantra.



2 comments:

  1. It's hard to believe that is only 6 X 8. It reads so much larger. I loved seeing all your different versions. You show me what a difference the composition can make--by adding that mug. I have a hard time getting one small painting finished, let alone three! My favorite thing is the small brown bottle peeking out from behind the vase. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of details in a small canvas!!! Excellent work, Julie.!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie