Personal Art Blog

Sharing the lessons I teach at the Artist Guild and the personal discoveries in my art.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Odd Man Out





Odd Man Out.

6x8in oil on canvas board   100.

Guess which item is "the odd man out."

Artist Note:

After the difficulty of painting the "White on White" Challenge,  it has been rewarding to read the complementary comments on the DailyPaintworks page.
Even so, I feel like doing a little bit more contemporary imagery with color.

Whenever an artist can use a full range of values, they get more impact. The placement of a large, very dark area near a smaller light one can give it a pop that makes it noticed. The reversed order is true also. I see this used a lot in the paintings submitted for shows. A smart move as more often than not, subtlety is wasted when an image is only seen for a few seconds by the judges.

Here I linked the back, dark mug into both the light and dark top area and placed a light cup to go up into the dark. This prevented the polka dot mug from sticking out like a sore thumb.

The mug with the spoon in the handle is a new addition to my collection and this is the first time I have painted it. It will be brilliant with my red teapot. Maybe tomorrow?





Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I love the very contemporary approach in composition of this piece -- not emphasizing visual depth but in stead go for the pattern organization in 2D picture plane. You have such a great visual rhythm here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful still life, love all the different pieces that put together work very well.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are taking the time to comment and thank you for it. I am sure other readers will enjoy them too. If you cannot comment through this format then email me at juliefordoliver@gmail.com
Cheers,
Julie